May these words serve the Highest Good! Amen.
After listening to some spiritual teachings and considering what really matters, I’m updating the format / languaging of the journal so that it emphasizes the direction I’d like to move in.
- Awareness of the Intrinsic Perfection, Beauty, Holiness, and Sacred of all that Exists, of All of Creation – Beyond Perception and Thoughts and Opinions – Beyond Duality, Sensing the Essence, the Exquisite:
2. Optimal Feelings of Health of Physical Body
3. Peace, Calmness, and Serenity of Mind:
4. Reverence and Gratitude for All Life; Mindfulness & Appreciation for the Gifts of Life
5. Being Present in the Moment, Awake to the Divine Presence; Awake to Love & Peace.
6. Quality of Speech: Aligned with that which is Truthful, Beneficial, Pleasant, and Useful
7 . Selfnessness (Free from petty-mindedness and vainly pursuing sensory pleasures and cravings)
8. A Tamed Tongue, Via Speech and Food Consumption.
9. Worshipping God (not mammon!)
Okay…let’s begin one at a time!
- Ah yes, the great ideal. Sometimes when I pause and intentionally try to see the Beauty and Perfection of things, it is fairly obvious. Really though, to even have the awareness to stop already means I’m close to it!
Today, I did have some negative thoughts, and basically what I did was wrote down all the criticisms and complaints and just let them be. I wrote them down somewhat with the intention of burning them…but they were typed so not going to burn a whole computer! As I wrote the complaints, I felt like I was writing them about myself, even though when I began I felt I was writing them about someone else. But, because they were not addressed to anyone in particular, when I looked back at them I could pretend they were about me and they were all reflections, so that helped with the Oneness. It helped to ‘vent’ the negative judgments and opinions and then to not sure share them.
I did read something in Proverbs today, by chance a Bible flipped open to a page, that said something about the one who loves correction loves Truth, or something like that. Anyway, not only did that inspire me to read more of Proverbs but also to seek more correction. So – Hallelujah!
2. Health of the Body…generally feeling good. I did take a few bites of birthday cake which was loaded with sugar, dairy, gluten, and even food coloring! About 30-60 minutes after, I did feel some heart pains. So – bah! Perhaps the worst part about the cake was that it was far from organic / high quality ingredients. If it was all organic or even homemade, that might have been a little different. I also ate it standing up…which is what everyone else was doing…hehe no excuse….so anyway – health has seemed good but did have somewhat of a relapse with the stabbing heart pains – although today the sensation was more mild then it has been in the past. And, just to reflect once more, when the heart pains initially started around a month ago, I was eating copious amounts of cashews and probably honey too, and since I have basically stopped eating both, and the heart pains are mostly gone. I also started exercising on a regular basis and began intermittent fasting – so hopefully all things are working together for the good!
3. Quality of mind…2 meditation sits today of decent quality – not too long! I thought today at 5pm as I exercised that I would do well to then do hatha and meditate before eating…but sure enough tongue got the best of me and I ate before stretching and meditating…so now the stomach is a bit full and meditation will likely have to wait until this evening before bed. Anyway, the mind has been pretty good, and it is happy bitcoin price is back up, and it is happy that it spoke up about pursuing a new position at work and a raise…but yes the meditations could be better. It did help to write down a few negative thoughts and then forget about them…just to get them down on paper…
4. Walking amongst the trees is a great experience and way I tune into reverence and gratitude for life and the beauty in all things. Otherwise, I have been struggling to slow down enough when eating to be truly, profoundly grateful. The time discipline with the food is interesting, and it is perhaps the first time I’ve done it, and done it successfully/truthfully for so long, yet the results have been mixed. I went into a state of joy and bliss last night after 8pm – after the eating window closed – and was so happy just having fun and feeling light and easy. Yet, during the eating window, hehe it can be tough! Eat, eat, eat, seems to be the motto during the eating window. We shall see how it develops! The journaling is helping to slow down – because I know I’m going to have to give account! I did wait until about 12:20 pm to eat today instead of right at 12…so that was somewhat of a success! Still though, would love to be more grateful and appreciative for all the gifts of life, and to make hay while the sun shines!
I am somewhat on the quest for acquiring more work/service hours, and part of me wonders how much of that is ego vs. spirit. I also wonder how it balances with the householder life / renunciate life. Because I am with a partner, I think it is part of a way I am embracing a householder life, and also I find that with more hours employed, that means more hours that I am effectively in the good company and out of trouble! I do wonder if taking on more service hours is not necessarily making hay while the sun shines, hehe and then on perhaps a much smaller level I think it is making hay while the sun shines because it is such a rare job opportunity that could be really great – who knows! So I think it could be very fun and a great way to serve, and maybe will increase my willpower and discipline and help facilitate greater simplicity and ease in my life.
5. Being Present. Saying thank you is one thing I do well. Especially with quality interactions with people, it is such a gift, and to me it makes sense to thank the person for their time and presence. I could certainly be more awake to Love and Peace and Beauty…this is the journey! How? Go a bit more slowly…let go of my attachments and aversions…just surrender to what is being asked and give to the one who asks….love everyone and everything, no matter what! Give up the idea of knowing anything and just focus on being. Amen! Be like a child – totally innocent and ignorant, free and pure.
6. Speech – I could speak less, and timing! Timing could improve. If it isn’t ‘pressing,’ it can wait, and I don’t need to inconvenience others for my own convenience, that’s not nice! Really…when speaking I don’t understand much, but I think just listening and saying thank you and being grateful is a solid foundation and actually a complete practice. What do I really have to say? Unless people ask…I might as well stay quiet! My words seemed pretty truthful today, mostly beneficial, pleasant, useful….hooray!
7. I got pretty hooked on some cookies and biscuits today. Gave into some sense pleasures…and it is only 6:30pm so still 1.5 hours of the eating window open for more mischief! Hehe. I ate what might be called a ‘low quality cake’ today because it seemed like it was doing a service to eat it, and I had such a modest amount of it that I don’t think it really did any harm, and really I did it as a service! Afterwards, I did gobble down a couple LARA bars as an attempt to balance with some healthier substances. Then I took vitamins 🙂 Anyway…less thinking, more loving – that sounds good!
One fun development is I’m in the process of giving up an easy service of bringing an elderly woman to meals and allowing other people to do it who might be in greater need of service opportunities, and I’m willing to take on a job with a lower pay because ultimately I think it may be more fulfilling. Let’s see!
Eating I think is one of the great opportunities to eat truly as a service and to be free from selfishness. Today…I think I did okay. As mentioned, ate a bunch of biscuits and cookies which could have been shared…but seemed pretty good for health too over all…o wait maybe not the cookies…but really the were crumbly and may have fallen on the floor so weren’t really in ‘form’ to share…you can see how the ego/mind plays tricks and games 😉
8. Tamed tongue? Mostly addressed above. In the process!
9. Devoting and dedicating and surrendering everything to God. Ah yes, the Golden Present. Live for this day! Don’t worry for tomorrow. God takes care.
I have heard some ‘odd’ ideas about the future recently, like the idea of an ice age in 2022 and things like that that can jolt me into some state of fear or concern or worry – whatever it is…alas just loving and serving and living to give is nice.
Most of my worldly concerns arise when I consider the notion of also providing for a partner rather than just caring for my own human vehicle. Alas, I know my partner is also highly capable and devoted and pure of heart and relatively fearless so I could trust in her more and trust in God through her and through all. Anyway, who knows what the future may bring. The point is…Love is! Charity, generosity, virtue…that’s the good stuff!
What’s the big lesson for today?
Want nothing. Give thanks for the great gifts of life. Be generous when you can. Be honest. No need to hide anything from anyone. Just love. Be open. Be kind.
Glory to God in the Highest!